- Shadow Complex is really fun! Well worth the 1200pts ($15): http://bit.ly/oQdKP #
- Costco now sells Chocolate Gelato! http://yfrog.com/15u7tj #
- Robots! http://bit.ly/3SDwhW – They catch cell phones and dribble balls. (via @GuySrinivasan) #
- @hjo3 I think you'd enjoy this: http://bit.ly/67OMK
Team Fortress 2 – USK Mass Bots #
- @ralphlee As I was reading that, my mind automatically filled the end of the sentence with "… getting any work done." in reply to ralphlee #
- @ralphlee *whistles* I'm pleading the 5th in reply to ralphlee #
- @ryandjohnson How'd you get SYFY HD? Are you paying for the premium package? in reply to ryandjohnson #
- @angelgrrl813 Which game? in reply to angelgrrl813 #
- I'm really digging this new song: Owl City – Fireflies: http://bit.ly/3EK7tx Currently free on Rhapsody: http://bit.ly/VJdqC #
- @digadeesh @gootecks SF4 FightStick for $43 shipped at Buy.com: http://bit.ly/tpx16 via @slickdeals: http://bit.ly/Jzln3 #
- Walt Mossberg Reviews Snow Leopard: http://bit.ly/Fdppo #
- Whoa, free $5 of Amazon MP3 credit for "buying" a free game? So easy. http://bit.ly/bjuD7 (via @hungtruong) #
- How convenient. I finish watching Season 2 of Dexter and Season 3 is released on Blu-ray this week. 😀 #
- Comcast High Speed Internet with PowerBoost for $20/mo for 12 months: http://bit.ly/8rURy #
- http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/ (via @jscott) #
- @aChrisSmith Are we talking about a laptop or desktop? in reply to aChrisSmith #
- @aChrisSmith Some links you'll want to check out: http://bit.ly/3TSPR http://bit.ly/99bVf http://bit.ly/UbUdd in reply to aChrisSmith #
- @GuySrinivasan How do you know it's O3? Does ozone have a smell? in reply to GuySrinivasan #
- @ellism Haha, I was just reading Wikipedia: named it after the Greek verb ozein ("to smell"), from the peculiar odor in lightning storms. in reply to ellism #
- Did you know that Orochimaru, Jiraiya, and Tsunade were all characters from Jiraiya Goketsu Monogatari before Naruto? http://bit.ly/tIrDZ #
- This music video is epic! The Guild – Do You Wanna Date My Avatar FTW!! http://bit.ly/35jCYC #datemyavatar (via @Fathi_Haziq) #
- Did you know the name Zabuza (再不斬, – Haku's savior; Guy w/ Big Cleaver Sword) from Naruto literally translates to: Won't Cut/Slice Again #
- "Trying to have a conversation with you would be like arguing with a dining room table." http://bit.ly/5lDrP (via @GuySrinivasan) #
- Did you know karaoke (カラオケ – 空オケ) literally translates to empty orchestra (oke – short for okesutora)? #
- Get a #free shaving starter kit from The Art of Shaving: http://bit.ly/m1APU They have a location at Bellevue Square. #
- @0xFCAF @ryandjohnson @aChrisSmith You guys need to convert this to a #songsincode: http://bit.ly/10liJo in reply to 0xFCAF #
- I want to watch Lion King now… http://bit.ly/42pMR6 Hakuna Matata #
- @hjo3 Ooooh. Blowtorch! in reply to hjo3 #
Yet another blog post?! My god…
When I first learnt that the only way to contact Netflix customer support was through phone support, I felt a bit annoyed. There’s plenty of things I would like to report/suggest via a short email or contact form, rather than wait on the phone and having to explain it in person.
So initially, I had tried to contact them through Twitter via @netflix and @Netflixhelps. Sometimes I’d get a reply within 24-48 hours. Other times my tweet would disappear into the oblivion. It wasn’t the most reliable way of contacting their support, but I wasn’t going to call just to make a suggestion.
Anyway, I made my first call to Netflix yesterday. I’m not sure what their peak hours are like, but when I called around 2-3am, the wait time was pretty much non-existent. As I mentioned yesterday, they had sent me the wrong DVD and I had reported it via their website. I also selected to have a replacement sent immediately. Unfortunately, I forgot Dexter season 3 was going to be released on Tuesday and personally would rather get Dexter first before Death Note part 1. I saw that the replacement wasn’t planned to be shipped out until Tuesday. I called in and got someone on the other end within 15 seconds. I asked him if he could cancel the replacement order as I’d like something else on my queue before it.
He said unfortunately the order’s been locked and is shipping directly from a different service center. I felt a bit disappointed, but that’s when he said, he’d give me a courtesy bonus DVD for my troubles. I said, “Awesome!” +1 for Netflix.
Tonight, after I found out that the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex feature films were just shortened versions of the TV series, I decided to watch Ghost In the Shell: Sold State Society. Unfortunately the audio/video was so out of sync, at least a few seconds. There’s been several reviews mentioning the audio/video sync issue already. Once again, the only way to report this issue was by calling in.
I called in again, once again in the middle of the night around 2am, so no waiting time involved. I mentioned the audio sync issue and the title of the film I was trying to watch and she mentions that it had been reported earlier and the technicians are already working on it. Unfortunately she couldn’t give me an ETA on when it would be fixed, but thanked me for reporting the issue.
All in all, I’m unexpectedly satisfied with Netflix customer service through the phone. The phone operators are well trained and there’s no automated phone system to navigate through. You call, enter your 6 digit code, and you get an operator. I’m a happy camper.
Wow! Another blog post! I’m on a roll!
For those following my tweets, you may have realized I’ve become a big fan of Dexter lately.
I’ve read the Death Note manga during college, watched the anime series shortly after (it’s now streaming from Hulu), and recently rented the 1st part of the Live Action movie from Netflix. When it mentioned the god-complex, it triggered a memory from a Dexter episode I recently saw and then I started noticing similarities.
Of course, they’re far from being the same story, but here’s a very few similar points:
- Both kill evil criminals and believes the world would become a better place.
- Both are part of the task force who are investigating the serial killer.
- Both Dexter’s and Light’s father were good policemen, though they played very different roles.
Of course there’s a lot of differences. Since I haven’t seen Season 3 yet and the series hasn’t officially ended, I can’t really say where it’s going. But Season 2 of Dexter moved away from the formulaic of 1 new kill per episode and more onto the focus of the investigation and capturing of the serial killer, which is what Death Note was all about.
Searching online, I found this article (from April 2007): ‘Dexter’ and ‘Death Note’: Pop-culture cousins? which basically mentions the same thing I have above. And the author says and I quote:
However, I’d like to point out the obvious: If you’ve been digging Dex as much as I have this season, there’s a good chance you’ll devour all volumes of Death Note, and vice versa. The series is available in most major bookstores.
Argggh, after watching the movie, I realized Netflix sent me part 2 inside a sleeve of part 1. I was wondering why the movie skipped a whole bunch at the beginning and what they were planning to do with part 2 after this ending. Then I looked at the DVD and it showed Death Note II: The Last Name
A lot of things have changed between the manga/anime and the live action movie. I guess it was inevitable since they’re compacting such a long series into 2 separate 2-hour movies.
- It’s a battle between L and Light all the way to the end. Near and Mello were never introduced.
- They merged 2 plot-lines together: the syndicate that was imitating Kira and the newscaster that idolized Kira
- Swapping with a fake Death Note was switched to a different character
- + a lot more
All in all, the movie was still very fun to watch. Like those who have read Harry Potter books and then watched the Harry Potter movies, seeing how the movie was altered from the original works was a bit disappointing. But if I had never read the manga, I probably would’ve enjoyed it greatly.
Wow, it’s been awhile since my last real blog post.
So on Friday, I hit into some car problems. As you may have guessed from the title, I had a dead battery. It was a rather interesting ordeal and I definitely had a very unexpected day.
As I was leaving for work around noon, my car would not start. When I try to start the ignition, it would flutter/click a lot. I’ve experienced dead car batteries before and know the sound they make when you try to start your ignition. It sounds like it’s trying to start, drag on, but would finally die and retry. This was a very different sound, but I really had nothing else to go on. The radio/lights still worked, but that doesn’t really mean anything. I had a car battery jump starter, but unfortunately it had been sitting in my garage for some time and was fully drained and needed to be recharged. While it was recharging, the thought of using AAA popped into my head. I wasn’t sure if they covered jump starting cars, but if they did, it’ll probably be faster for them to come and jump start my car than to wait to for my jump starter to recharge. And if it’s not the battery, I could probably have them tow my car to a servicing center.
I looked on the website and it did indeed have this service. I pulled out my AAA card and noticed it expired on 2/28/2009. Thinking to myself, “Crap, did I forget to pay? Did my credit card on file expire?” I checked my account status online and it appears that I am still an active member. I guess I must’ve misplaced my newest card. Conveniently, I was able to submit the request online and it said it’ll take about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, I had a meeting at 2pm which I sort of needed to attend. I sent an email to work notifying them of my car problems and was hoping I’d still be able to make it in time, but worse case, I’ll probably call into the meeting from home.
I tried to start up my car a few more times to see maybe if I’d get lucky. That’s when I noticed the flashing green key on my dashboard. I looked up the manual and it said that the flashing green key meant the immobilizer system was activated. To quickly explain the immobilizer system, Honda and other car manufactures are putting computer chips into the keys, so only a legit key can start the car. I thought maybe I damaged the key chip in some way, ran up stairs to get my 2nd set of car keys, but that didn’t start the car either. I even tried the valet key (key that can start the car, but can’t open the trunk), but no luck. I decided to call Bellevue Honda, but while I was on hold waiting for a service tech, my AAA guy showed up.
Apparently I got sent a giant tow truck (one with those flat beds where the whole car goes onto the back). I’m surprised he actually managed to weave his way through my complex. I mentioned that it might not be a dead battery as the starting sound was weird and may actually need to be towed to a servicing center. He said, let’s give it a shot first and pulled out a super long jumper cables and connected one end to his giant tow truck and the other end to my car battery. I turned the key and VROOOOM, my engine roared. So it was indeed a dead battery. My only explanation for the flashing green key/immobilizer system is that the immobilizer system needs electricity to verify the computer chip and when there wasn’t enough to start the engine, it presumed I had a bad key and stopped it short before even trying to start the engine, creating the clicking/fluttering noises I heard.
The tow truck guy told me to leave the car running for 30 minutes before turning it off so it can charge my battery. I asked him if I could drive it and he said that’d be even better. I thank him and he left. After he left, the thought of tipping him popped into my head. Since this was my first time dealing with AAA for car related issues, I’m not sure if I was actually suppose to tip in that situation or not. But oh well, it was too late to do anything anymore.
I left for work pretty much soon after. I took along my car jump starter (75% charged at this point) with me just in case. I phoned Jan Lyk to let him know that I’ll be a bit late to the meeting and was wondering if he could take point until I got there.
So yada yada yada… no it’s not the end of the story quite yet.
Anand (my former lead) was having his moving to a new team party and I got out of my meeting a bit late, so I missed the car pooling. When I got to my car and tried to start it, I encountered the same issue this morning. I pull out my jump starter and barely managed to jump start the car in the parking garage. The question now was do I go to the farewell party or do I go to Sears (where I bought the car battery from) and have it looked at. After some contemplation, I decided to get the car battery looked at first and if there was still time, I’d join the party.
I got to Sears and parked. I thought about leaving my engine running, but thought worse case scenario, Sears auto center probably can jump start it for me. I was then told to drive my car into the Sears auto servicing center. It took a few tries to get my car started again and the tech started diagnosing the battery. Since I wasn’t originally planning to have my battery replaced this morning, I didn’t have my Sears battery receipt on me. I only hoped they still had me in their system. The tech told me my battery was completely dead, but the alternator was working fine, so I began the process of getting the battery replaced.
I knew I only had my battery for 2-3 years and they were able to find me in their system. Apparently I had it for 3 years and 2 months, 2 months over the free replacement warranty period. I was now on the pro-rated warranty period which reduced the battery price from $90 to $30. Still good I guess, though I was really shocked that their best battery (DieHard Gold series) would die so quickly. The battery replacement would take about 45 minutes and I went into Sears to watch Ratatouille in the mean time.
When it was done, it was already close to 6pm and too late to join the party. I went back to work since I had to leave around 7:15 to meet some friends for dinner and games.
All in all, as I mentioned earlier, it was definitely an interesting and unexpected day.
- Interesting. Amex and Discover ditch overlimit fees in order to allow consumers to go over their credit limit: http://bit.ly/FCn7l #
- @hungtruong Imagine if bit.ly went down. in reply to hungtruong #
- Optical Illusion: 4 Perfectly Round Circles http://imgur.com/3qiYJ.png (via @Teslanaut) #
- @angelgrrl813 @GuySrinivasan Grrr. Even after taking off my glasses, my vision is still not bad enough to see concentric circles. in reply to angelgrrl813 #
- Bypass Gizmo5 and use Google Voice + Asterisk + SipGate for unlimited incoming/outgoing calls: http://bit.ly/1QB8RE #
- started watching Dexter on Sunday. Finished Season 1 on Tuesday. It's that good. 😀 #
- @GuySrinivasan Haha. That was pretty awesome. in reply to GuySrinivasan #
- Pretty cool promo. $599 unlimited travel on @JetBlue (Sept 8th through Oct 8th): http://bit.ly/wIiGp (via @ralphlee @adachen) #
- New Google Service Lets Privacy Critics Opt-Out, Relocate To Remote Village http://bit.ly/d6dND (via @TheOnion) #
- Actually, There’s Probably An App For That http://bit.ly/3Q1HUe (via @notalwaysright) #
- My Milk Toof: http://digg.com/d310bYc – Cute, funny, yet creepy at the same time. #
- VG Cats explains why the female gender is so infatuated with vampires and True Blood: http://bit.ly/jOT1l #
- What if you could get your bank to pay you a fee for every one of their mistakes on your account? http://bit.ly/2q4cg (via @consumerist) #
- "I will not kill my sister. I will not kill my sister. I will not kill my sister. I will not kill my sister." – Dexter Season 2 Episode 2 #
- Get 15% off any internal, external and laptop had drive @Newegg: http://bit.ly/imfRN Code: HDDSALE15 (Expires 8/16) #
- @angelgrrl813 Depends if they end up saving your time or causing you more trouble. in reply to angelgrrl813 #
- @gootecks Looks like Frys has the SF4 TE FightStick for $90: http://bit.ly/B4fEl #
- $10 free food delivered from Schwans: http://www.schwans.com/FREE (first 500,000) – Valid for the Seattle area. Thread: http://bit.ly/UKngC #
- @bpump I'm guessing they didn't answer the door? How long did it take the police to arrive? in reply to bpump #
- @pandora_radio Why is it if there's 2 days left after I go over 40hrs, I have to pay the same amount as someone that got 15 extra days? #
- @pandora_radio I propose 99c gets you a fixed # of extra hours and that carries over between months. #
- Did anyone notice Goodspaceguy is running for King County Executive: http://bit.ly/5usEz I wonder if he meant "Good Guy" (space) #
- @hjo3 It could very well be. First time I've noticed him though. in reply to hjo3 #
- Free subscription to Popular Science: http://bit.ly/arvgZ #
- You obnoxious fool! Deny me and what awaits you will be Apple's wolrd! Good and evil are merely the front and back of the same card. #
- @krunk4ever Recent Apple acts of evil triggered my memory of a quote from Code Geass. in reply to krunk4ever #
- @delconte Tweeted earlier with the wrong acount. You might want to read this thread: http://bit.ly/IZW7i in reply to delconte #
- saw Hotel Rwanda this past weekend and enjoyed it greatly. Love this song: Andrea Guerra – Children Found: http://bit.ly/1tQLT #
- If you're using AVG and have been getting pop ups telling you to upgrade to AVG Internet Security, here's why: http://bit.ly/kkjYb #
- @GuySrinivasan I was going through new Netflix instant watch and noticed this: Music Instinct: Science and Song – http://bit.ly/3C4mMw in reply to GuySrinivasan #
- @hjo3 Depends on how often you want your signature on your electronic/printed documents. in reply to hjo3 #
- @hjo3 Are we talking about printed documents or documents sent electronically? A simple Sincerely, <Name> works for the latter. in reply to hjo3 #
- @hjo3 For printed documents and if signature is needed, I'd probably hand-sign. A printed signature looks as you say tacky. in reply to hjo3 #
- JetBlue 20% off all flights through 10/31/09 – Today only: http://bit.ly/1gpJkS #
- @0xFCAF In those cases, I don't bother responding, and see what they do ;p in reply to 0xFCAF #
- @ryandjohnson I thought it was fun. Not spectacular. in reply to ryandjohnson #
- @ryandjohnson Ah yes. I watched it in HD. in reply to ryandjohnson #
- @angelgrrl813 Were you guys watching this dubbed? in reply to angelgrrl813 #
- @ryandjohnson I found it funny that if you change "What's" to "What is", it sticks an お in front of 名前, making it honorific. in reply to ryandjohnson #
- @ryandjohnson *shrug* the OP music was awesome though. in reply to ryandjohnson #
- Ooooh! Gorillaz' Clint Eastwood and Feel Good Inc. are coming to Rock Band! http://bit.ly/2LxS7 #
- @delconte So auto-lighting pipes where you stick tobacco in? in reply to delconte #