Thanks to everyone’s compliments about my new hair. Most people at work were surprised about my new short hair. A few were actually shocked. Chad keeps reminding me everyday I’m now the short-hair version of myself. I do have to apologize to Vittorio as we were both sporting long hair and now he feels betrayed. I’m sorry.
It’s been a few days since I got short hair and I’ve been getting used to it. There are definitely a lot of benefits for having short hair.
- I no longer have to use a comb!
- I use 75% less shampoo and conditioner, which probably means my Costco-sized shampoo and conditioner will last over a year.
- My hair dries pretty much immediately after a shower. With long hair and without using the blow dryer, it would usually take an hour.
- I no longer have to clean out the long hair from the shower or pull it out of my Roomba.
The disadvantages I can think of:
- No more long hair for girls to play with. For some reason they really liked to braid my hair.
- I can no longer use the excuse that it’s mine if someone finds a strand of long hair on me.
One freaky thing I never really told anyone is that since I haven’t had a haircut for over 2 years, after a shower, my hair would drape across the front of my face, and I would look like that girl from Ringu (The Ring).
I do have to style my hair in the morning (I explain why later), but it’s not too bad. I have had this small tub of Garnier Fructis Style Fiber Gum Putty for awhile (I presume from the days when I still had short hair) and it’s working great with my new haircut. Styling my hair takes about 30 seconds every morning:
- Wet hair
- Scoop small amount of putty into hand
- Rub hands together
- Run hands through hair and mold into shape I want
- Wash hands
One thing that sucks is that after I wash the putty off, it looks like I have a broom-head. It looks okay when it’s still wet, but once I dry it off, it all sticks straight up, like what Xyon would call Chia Pet mode. And when your hair is 1.5″ long, it sort of looks like a broom. My sister imagined I would look like a Dragon Ball character, but I think it’s more like Vash from Trigun or Chou from Rurouni Kenshin (though they both sport the broom-head much better than I do):
Maybe the key is to dye it blond and wear red clothing.