- @shawboy78 hmmmm. Maybe someone dropped the 'a' and made best. ;p in reply to shawboy78 #
- It's a pity that there's no @ZUNE client for the mac, which means I'll probably be cancelling my Zune Pass when I switch to my Mac mini. #
- @superekin Interesting. Also, not sure if you realize, but VMWare also has that feature. in reply to superekin #
- @superekin Interesting, though I've lost if I have to use virtualization. Also, VMWare also has that feature. in reply to superekin #
- w00t! http://www.hd-trailers.net/movie/the-last-airbender-the-legend-of-korra/ #
- @shawboy78 I've been thinking of giving @spotify a try and this gave me the perfect excuse. in reply to shawboy78 #
- @rothgar I have HD radio, but it came wit the car. Quality is definitely better (mp3-like) and falls back to analog when the signal is weak. in reply to rothgar #
- @rothgar Would I go out of my way to get it? Probably not. But if it just costs a bit more, why not? in reply to rothgar #
- Lifestyle Options: http://www.shoeboxblog.com/?p=26667 mmmmmmmm 😀 #
- @0xFCAF The players do. They get paid big bucks no matter if they win or lose. ;p in reply to 0xFCAF #
- @angelgrrl813 I don't recall a time my MBA fan didn't spin up watching a @YouTube video even on Snow Leopard. ;p in reply to angelgrrl813 #
- Wow… @spotify might be the best thing since sliced bread. Wish I had some invites to give out. Player is 100x better than @ZUNE and iTunes #
- Sweet! @humble indie bundle 3 is out! http://t.co/pxqCEVi All of the games work on the Mac. Maybe I shouldn't post this during work. ;p #
- For all the @spotify users out there, is there a quick way/hotkey to star the current playing song? #
- @superekin Ouch! Mine is coming on Friday. in reply to superekin #
- @hjo3 Haha! Got a source? in reply to hjo3 #
- The selection of soundtrack/score music (or lack thereof) on @Spotify is a bit disappointing. #
- @hungtruong @Spotify's response would be: Have you heard of our premium plans? ;p in reply to hungtruong #
- My Mac mini is here! Open it and get nothing done for the day or wait till I come back from vacation?!?! #
- ~@Spotify users should check out http://digster.fm/ #
- Now with 3D Secure! http://wp.me/piTZZ-ZK #
- Apparently From Dust is the game of the moment… Both Penny Arcade and Pants Are Overrated did a webcomic on a game I've never heard about. #
- @MizageApps I'm hitting a weird issue w/ Divvy on Lion where if the window is bigger than what I'm resizing to, it moves it, but not reisze #
- @gmail Something wrong with the servers? Taking multiple retries to send an email and downloading via imap is very laggy and unresponsive. #
- @aChrisSmith So they should be like college students and do it the hour before it's due? ;p in reply to aChrisSmith #
- @AllYourAnime tu-tu-ru! tu-tu-ru! in reply to AllYourAnime #
Apparently just secure isn’t good enough, now there’s 3D Secure! While I was checking out of DealExtreme (was looking for a pouch, but also ended up picking a mushroom plush), I was prompted with the following screen:
Apparently 3-D Secure is a real thing and DealExtreme didn’t just make it up! According to Wikipedia:
3-D Secure is an XML-based protocol used as an added layer of security for online credit and debit card transactions. It was developed by Visa to improve the security of Internet payments and offered to customers as the Verified by Visa service. Services based on the protocol have also been adopted by MasterCard, under the name MasterCard SecureCode, and by JCB International as J/Secure. American Express has added SafeKey to UK and Singapore on 8 November 2010.
This authentication is based on a three domain model (hence the 3-D in the name). The three domains are:
- Acquirer Domain (the merchant and the bank to which money is being paid).
- Issuer Domain (the bank which issued the card being used).
- Interoperability Domain (the infrastructure provided by the credit card scheme to support the 3-D Secure protocol).
Saw this on reddit and wanted to reshare, but it was too long to tweet: Japan pensioners volunteer to tackle nuclear crisis
“I am 72 and on average I probably have 13 to 15 years left to live,” he says.
“Even if I were exposed to radiation, cancer could take 20 or 30 years or longer to develop. Therefore us older ones have less chance of getting cancer.”
Someone in the comments posted:
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
A society falls when old men cut down trees whose shade they know they’re not going to need any more.
Which someone replied to the 2nd saying with:
Welcome to the United States
- Words with Friends just got better! There's a re-shuffle button which doesn't require shaking & actually tells you which word is misspelled. #
- Things you try as a kid: http://www.leasticoulddo.com/comic/20110717 #
- @loganb Interesting… I wonder if Firefox has an extension for that. in reply to loganb #
- New #win7 trick I learned by chance: Tabbing when renaming files moves onto next file in renaming mode! #
- I began watching Steins;Gate which the internet seems to really like. I'm 4 episodes in and the story is just too crazy so far. #
- Haha! Operation G-BACK. Operation jibaku (自爆 – self destruction) #
- @hjo3 what happened? in reply to hjo3 #
- @AllYourAnime Saw Ergo Proxy awhile back. Really neat drawings, but story got way too complicated and philosophical near the end. in reply to AllYourAnime #
- @AllYourAnime Sure. It's been awhile since I saw Ergo Proxy, but hopefully I'll be able to hold a meaningful discussion. in reply to AllYourAnime #
- @rothgar That reminds me of those old Microsoft Works jokes. Seems to just be smarter to never name a software product 'Works' in reply to rothgar #
- @angelgrrl813 I find that @google is able to incorporate my behavior of "driving fast" into its time estimates ;p in reply to angelgrrl813 #
- The folks @ Apple are genius. To get the better cpu & SSD for my Mac mini, the minimum amount of expensive RAM I'll be replacing is 4GB. #
- Want! #cuttherope #omnomplushtoys http://lockerz.com/s/122146004 #
- @ZeptoLab @Cut_The_Rope Are the Om Nom plush available for preorder? They're so adorably cute! #
- Nooooo! tuturuu! tuturuu! tuturuu! #steins gate #
- This is cool! http://www.parisdailyphoto.com/2011/06/optical-illusion-at-paris-town-hall.html #
- If you're ever in need of generating 'Achievement unlocked' badges, http://bit.ly/oK6aH7 quality is a lot better than http://bit.ly/oP37VE #
- @krunk4ever If you want to use characters that need to be url-encoded, you have to double url-encode them. in reply to krunk4ever #
- @shawboy78 I say a double serving is in order! in reply to shawboy78 #
- Achievement unlocked – Car Windows Tinted. +20 HP http://lockerz.com/s/119801055 #
- @loganb What do Logan-design circuit boards do? in reply to loganb #
- @loganb Sweet! You have a 3d fabrication printer? in reply to loganb #
- Interesting, Zillow says my house increased 6% in value in the past 30 days. I wondered what happened… #
- @bpump Haha! That's hilarious! in reply to bpump #
- CMD+w and CMD+q are too close together. I frequently quit Firefox when I just want to close a tab. Good thing Firefox remembers my tabs. #
- Wheeeeee! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPbh6Ru7VVM #
- @JustMoxie You guys need to try this soda: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPbh6Ru7VVM&feature=player_embedded#at=735 #
So Random Curiosity, an anime website I frequent recently did a review on Colorful. I didn’t really read much of the article. In fact, I pretty much stopped reading after the first paragraph as to not spoil it for myself:
As a rule, I’m not going to blog the same shows here on RC that I do on Lost in America, with the exception of a couple of Spring series that I’ll be taking over from Kiiragi. But as we get ready for Summer to start, I asked to make an exception for Colorful. Why? Simply, because I really want this movie to get as much attention as possible. I admit it, this one is personal – I love the film and I want to promote it any way I can.
Funny thing is I’m actually writing this review with the anime paused in front of me right now. The anime is a feature film and runs for a little over 2 hours. Colorful reminded me a lot of the works done by Shinkai Makoto. It appears that Colorful was directed by Hara Keiichi, and was based on a book. Colorful was extremely beautiful and the story deep. The characters are well developed and you quickly get attached to them.
The anime starts off in 1st person view. It appears you’ve died after committing a great sin. We never do (or at least not yet) learn about what sin you committed or how you died, but it was so great that you would not be given the chance to reincarnate. However, “the boss” is willing to give you another chance. He gives you a challenge, a test, by putting your soul into the body of a boy who just committed suicide with the instructions to live life. You don’t immediately learn why the boy whose body your overtook committed suicide, but slowly and surely you learn about the boy’s life.
I highly recommend this anime. It’s a bit melodramatic (I might be using the word wrong here) and definitely not your typical action/battle anime. However, don’t let this scare you away as there were many emotional moments and several intense moments I was clenching my fist. Like I mentioned above, it’s very Shinkai Makoto-like. If you’ve enjoyed Voices of a Distance Star, The Place Promised in Our Early Days, or 5 Centimeters per Second, you will surely enjoy Colorful. Don’t confuse it with the 16 episode anime series Colorful, which appears to be a comic relief/parody type.
Just some random thoughts…
Just to get this off my chest before I see the ending. I have a hunch that that the soul that currently resides in the body of Makoto (the boy) is actually Makoto himself and he’s being given a 2nd chance. His suicide, the great sin, somehow caused him to forget who he was. And it makes sense that if you’re willing to kill yourself, you shouldn’t really be given a chance to reincarnate.
Anyway, you learned (or are led to believe) the main reason why Makoto committed suicide was because he caught his mother cheating on his father. Halfway through the anime, he confronts his mother about it. He wasn’t really confronting her to give her a chance to explain, but more of a reason why he’s being so cold to her. The mom becomes devastated and tries her best to be a better mom, yet he continues to give her the cold shoulder.
At certain points in time, I thought the mom was going to commit suicide because it became so unbearable to face her own child. In one scene, you see her pumping oil from a giant tank into a smaller tank and overfills it because her heart was somewhere else.
In another scene, Makoto comes home to find his mom “asleep” on the couch. It’s a Japanese tradition for the person coming home to say tadaima and the people at home to say okaerinasai. I was so afraid that she had already killed herself. Makoto was just starting to come around. When his brother came up to ask him to come down to talk about some important family matter, I was so scared the mom had died and the brother and dad were trying to softly break the news on him. It would’ve been so sad!!!
That was also another reason I believe that the soul is really Makoto, or why else would he care so much about the mom having an affair.
The anime also shows how important it is to have a friend you can entrust your problems with, even if it’s just one, so you don’t feel like you’re alone in the world. When you’re stuck by yourself and feeling the world is unfair and against you, you are led to do some crazy and stupid things.
- @bpump Not sure if this is case, but Google Voice does horribly on foreign languages. For English, they tend to do a good job transcribing in reply to bpump #
- Interesting… @facebook changed "Edit Friends" to "Manage Friends" #
- @spaceandgames @GuySrinivasan If you can't distinguish imagination and reality, when do you know you should make your dream into reality? in reply to GuySrinivasan #
- @superekin I like how you have a teddy bear with a bib, like he's ready for eating. 😀 in reply to superekin #
- @superekin It's probably not popular enough. in reply to superekin #
- @superekin Fluent enough they won't think you're American? ;p in reply to superekin #
- Some really cheap flights to/from LA and SF (including Seattle (-_^x)) Deal expires 4PM PDT. http://bit.ly/nEbVi2 #
- @ralphlee The guy claiming to have pocket kings is lying. ;p in reply to ralphlee #
- Haha. This Zojirushi rice cooker looks like alien spaceship! http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/54858 #