So with the introduction of IE7, my little hack no longer worked, which was having the following shortcut:
runas.exe /u:administrator "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
With the IE7 update, when I enter C:\ into the location bar, it actually opens up a new Explorer window, running as my current user. Before it would automatically open C: drive in the same IE window and let me browse as administrator.
With this block, I decided to see if I could get explorer.exe to launch instead of going through iexplore.exe. Running explorer.exe from an administrator command prompt didn’t do anything. I was able to run
start . and get an Explorer window opened, but that was running under me again. I search for explorer.exe switches and found this site: Command-Line Switches for Windows Explorer, however none of those switches seem to work. Calling
explorer.exe /? returned immediately without displaying any kind of help.
Apparently, the switch you have to pass in is /separate. At first I thought it was just a fake, but then realized I was spelling seperate incorrectly. If you execute the following command:
runas.exe /u:administrator "explorer.exe /separate", you’ll be able to start explorer.exe as another user.
Today’s Japanese phrase is 雪 (yuki) which translates to snow, since we’ve recently had a bunch of snow, but due to today’s warm weather, it’s pretty much gone. Guess I won’t be needing wheel chains anymore. Along with snow, there’s 冬休み (fuyuyasumi) or Winter Vacation. 冬 (fuyu) is Winter and 休み (yasumi) means to rest by itself, but when stuck to onto another noun like one of the 4 seasons, it means vacation. The other seasons are 春 (haru) – Spring; 夏 (natsu) – Summer; 秋 (aki) – Autumn.
Japanese Zen Gardens (from Digg) – a very nice collection of Zen Gardens with you combed through sand and the nice and peaceful rocks (are rocks ever not peaceful?).
Apple Sells “Refreshed” Laptop Filled With Porn To 11 Year Old Girl (from Digg) – An Apple customer was shocked, shocked, when he bought a Macbook from the London Apple Store for his 11-year old daughter, and the desktop was full of pornographic JPGs. As RayAlome says, that’s a feature!
Richard Simmons explains his steamer on Letterman (from RayAlome) – Watch Richard Simmons try to sell you his steamer on The Letterman Show and how Letterman provokes him and finally the KABOOM!
SNEAK PEEK: ‘Heroes’ Mid-Season Finale (from Heroes Revealed) – (WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS) ‘Heroes’ Mid-season Finale Clips! Check out these clips from the upcoming episode. A nice long 5 minute sneak preview of the episode 11.
Spilled Doritos chips wash up on Outer Banks (from Digg) – A cargo container that apparently fell from a ship washed up on the Outer Banks of North Carolina today and spilled thousands of bags of Doritos brand tortilla chips on the beach. Scavengers collected the chips, which were apparently still fresh due to their airtight packaging. It was unknown which ship had lost the cargo or to what port it was bound.
Cell Phone Towers In Disguise (from Digg) – Dr. Debbye Turner reports some folks say cell phone towers can be unsightly, so some providers are becoming masters of disguise. Turner discusses the creative compromise with Julie Chen. 1/4 of all cell phone towers are disguised to blend in with the environment so it isn’t such an eyesore.
The sending of false fire alarms by mischievous persons may be eliminated through use of a newly developed call box. To use the device, the sender of an alarm must pass a hand through a special compartment to reach the signal dial. Once the dial has been turned, the sender’s hand is locked in the compartment until released by a fireman or policeman with a key. (from Modern Mechanix)
Haha! What if it was a real fire and the you got trapped right next to it. ;p
50 THINGS EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW (or 50 Completely Useless Facts!) (from Digg) – quite an interesting list. The ones I found interesting were:
- Beetles taste like apples, wasps like pine nuts, and worms like fried bacon. – Worm definitely does not taste like fried bacon, unless you get to fry it beforehand. Then I don’t know.
- What is called a “French kiss” in the English speaking world is known as an “English kiss” in France.
- You can’t kill yourself by holding your breath – Do you pass out before you suffocate?
- Right handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people
- Like fingerprints, everyone’s tongue print is different! – Guess if we have a licker on our hand, it’d be easy to identify him.
- Fingernails grow nearly 4 times faster than toenails! – No wonder my fingernails need more chewing.
- Women blink nearly twice as much as men. – That’s cause they flirt twice as much as men. Just kidding. ;p
- An ostrich’s eye is bigger than its brain
- A giraffe can clean its ears with its 21-inch tongue! – I wish I could do that.
- Dolphins sleep with one eye open! – Just like Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy states, Dolphins are much smarter. They won’t let you get close, not even when they’re sleeping!
- Some worms will eat themselves if they can’t find any food! – Some humans would too!
Sex educators plan spray-on condom – “We’re trying to develop the perfect condom for men that’s suited to every size of penis,” he said. “We’re very serious.” Krause’s team (spraykondom.de) is developing a type of spray can into which the man inserts his penis first. At the push of a button it is then coated in a rubber condom. Haha! Awesome!
Bill Gates for President! (from Derek) – Bill Gates for President dot net is a movement of people from all over the world who share a set of beliefs. These beliefs are:
- The President of the United States of America is not just a political leader in the USA. He or she has an important role in international politics as well.
- The President of the United States should not be a slave to large corporations. We see the reality of multi-million-dollar presidential campaigns, but feel worried about the way they are being funded.
- The President of the United States should not just be a politician. A true leader has a great variety of competences. A good President is also a manager.
You should also read Scott Adams blog entry: Bill Gates for President